Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Melanin-ated Man

In the wake of the #MikeBrown murder, I urge you to be safe out there melanin-ated man, the devils among us are hunting you because of your existence.

This is not just about being socially aware.  This is about the lack of justice!  We are living in a time where all people are supposedly treated equal, a democratic society, and in the land of the free, right.  So, why then, are people of color (Black or African American) not treated as equal, not treated as citizens with rights, not protected by their democratic government, and their freedom is all but free.  Why melanin-ated people are not offered the same due process as our non-melanin-ated counterparts?  Wait, the judicial system offers due process, but somehow we always seem to end up with the verdict that benefits the offender instead of the victim.  We pay the price for being free to breathe.  Let me clarify my choice of words “people of color,” I am referring to people of color who do not identify as Black or of African descent.  However, let me implore you, do not be a person of color and think that this injustice will not affect you.  We live under a democratic government, meaning run by the people and for the people where citizens in that democracy have rights.  For example, we have the right to speak freely, practice religion, vote, walk down the street, visit friends at their homes, sit in public places, buy goods from a local convenience store and so on.  My mind cannot logically process WHY innocent citizens are gunned down and murdered by the very ones that took an oath to protect and serve for the very same things that their democratic society governs they have rights-to.

As my cousin said to me, “all people practice racism.  It is a condition of evil acts against one kind, humanity is a heart and soul, which doesn't look for difference but stands in purity.  "who is the latter and how do you see yourself as such" is my question blog that for me.”

To answer your question Steph, I must first look at the definition of racism--it is prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior (Wiki).  Yes, indirectly and on some level, I do practice a bit of racism because I prejudge, I discriminate based on the truth of my own experiences, and no, I have never antagonized or felt that my own race was superior and therefore treated another person differently because of it.  Let me be crystal clear, I am not a racist, I firmly believe there should be no division, we all are of one race and that is the human race-equal, where there is no black, white, or other.  I mean black and white does not describe skin color when you get down to the science of it all.  I love all kinds of people, which is where my humanity is pure.  In my opinion, a racist cannot practice racism and stand in purity, but a human with a pure heart and soul (pure) may indirectly practice racism, so I guess that makes me the latter.  In my response to Steph, I began to think about whether a racist who knowingly practices racism cares about humanity.  Ah, that’s a bonafide HELL NO because if they did, his/her conscience would not allow them to commit such heinous acts.

As I process what we are faced with in 2014, in comparison to that of the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s, faced with the raw truth that nothing has changed because they are still murdering black men and now the focus is on our young men.  Looking at the facts, the list of melanin-ated men killed during the civil rights movement because of their skin color, while in police custody, by police using excessive force, or under questionable circumstances involving police. 

Rev. George Winston Lee, 1955
Lamar Smith, 1955
John Earle Reese, 1955
Emmett Till, 1955
Willie Edwards, Jr., 1957
Mack Charles Parker, 1959
Herbert Lee, 1961
Cpl. Roman Ducksworth, 1962
Medgar Evers, 1963
Virgil Lamar, Ware, 1963
Louis Allen, 1964
Charles Eddie, Moore, 1964
Lemuel Penn, 1964
Henry Hezekiah Dee, 1964
Jimmie Lee Jackson, 1965
Oneal Moore, 1965
Willie Brewster, 1965
Samuel Leamon Younge Jr., 1966
Ben Chester White, 1966
Clarence Triggs, 1966
Wharlest Jackson, 1967
Benjamin Brown, 1967
Samuel Ephesians Hammond Jr., 1968
Delano Herman Middleton, 1968
Henry Ezekiel Smith, 1968
Phillip Pannell, 1990
Jonny Gammage, 1995
Amadou Diallo, 1999
Patrick Dorismond, 2000
Ousmane Zongo, 2003
Orlando Barlow, 2003
Tim Stansbury, 2004
Gus Gugley, 2004
James Brissette, 2005
Lance Madison, 2005
Ronald Madison, 2005
Travares McGill, 2005
Aaron Campbell, 2005
Sean Bell, 2006
Oscar Grant, 2009
Victor Steen, 2009
Steven Eugene Washington, 2010
Alonzo Ashley, 2011
Derrick Williams, 2011
Timothy Russell, 2012
Ervin Jefferson, 2012
Trayvon Martin, 2012
Kendrec McDade, 2012
Wendell Allen, 2012
Alan Blueford, 2012
Chavis Carter, 2012
Ramarley Graham, 2012
Dane Scott, 2012
John, Ferrell, 2013
Kimani Gray, 2013
Mike Brown, 2014
Eric Garner, 2014
Ezell Ford, 2014
John Crawford, 2014
Armand Bennett, 2014
Dante Parker, 2014
Tamir Rice, 2014

As I put the list together, with every name I typed, I experienced feelings of melancholy, anger, and resentment.  Each person on that list above did nothing to provoke losing his or her lives.  As if, there is justification for murder.  I think about this, every time a melanin-ated life is devalued and showcased publically, I never hear anything from the white people I know, they do not share their opinions, they do not offer any words of encouragement, and they are just mute.  Grant it, I understand, I mean I do get it, what do you say when you do not know what to say, it makes me feel as if they too believe black life does not matter.

To all my non-melanin people reading this, or those of you with melanin and choose to remain silent so as not to get involved in the debate...I don't hate you, but I do feel numb when I think about you.  And, I do wonder though, if a black person's life doesn't matter enough for you to speak up about right and wrong, then does my life not matter to you and why again are we even associated with one another.  I want you to remember that your silence shows lack of compassion, and to me, that exemplifies your acceptance of the any injustice against me.

To my melanin-ated sister and brothers reading this, we have to keep the fight by remaining vigilant, protecting each other, educating our young people first, and then unlearning the true lies for mental programming.

I leave you this to ponder, “the best way to program the mind is to tell one truth and build that one truth with nothing but lies.”

I’m out.  Peace.

#blacklivesmatter #nojusticenopeace


3 comments:

  1. It takes courage to stand up for what is right...most people live their lives in quiet desperation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Anonymous, which is why I started this blog, this platform gives me a voice. I live in a world (my mind) where I despise injustice. I believe my ancestors too lived in this same world--as their descendants, isn't it my responsibility to do fight for what they believed in? What will I live my descendants as their ancestors if I do nothing. This, to me, is my something.

      Delete